We are often asked for details of useful behaviour and training resources so we have pulled together a list of some of the sites we most often refer to. This will be updated regularly and if you think we have missed something really useful please do feel free to send us your thoughts! The links below also include some handy bespoke doggy product businesses, some websites with great health and nutrition information and some great rescues! We hope you find it useful. Don't forget for details of local doggy businesses check out our local resources and recommendations page.
Training & Behaviour Websites
- Dog Star Daily - a wealth of comprehensive behaviour advice in conjunction with respected behavhiorist Ian Dunbar (to access all articles you do need to register)
- Kikopup - fantastic Youtube video training channel for visual aids for training Youtube channel.
- Dr Sophia Yin – combining her veterinary & behaviourist work her website is a wealth of fantastic, comprehensive articles. All her methods are positive and science based.
- Suzanne Clothier - the author of the fantastic Bones Would Rain from the Sky. Her articles and Blog section offer a wealth of great info.
- Doggiedrawings.net - great infographics on dog behaviour, body language and safety from artists Lili Chin (these are often developed in conjunction with top behaviourists). They are simple and effective and well worth a look!
- Zak George Dog Training rEvolution You Tube Channel
- Positively : Victoria Stilwells website - lots of great articles and tips
- Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt Youtube Videos - some fantastic video resources for reactive, fearful or over excitable dogs
- Eileen and Dogs Blog - Some great posts, videos and articles on dog body language (amongst other things)
- Turid Rugaas - article on understanding dog calming signals
- BAT (Behaviour Adjustment Therapy) from Grisha Stewart - a useful training method for dogs who experience fear, frustration and/or aggression.
Dogs in Need of Space/Reactive Dogs Resources:
Healthy & Nutrition:
- All about dog food - super resource for checking & understanding dog food ingredients
- Dental Vets - UKs leading dental vet specialist. Website has great info on dental health & hygiene
- Rhodes 2 Safety - Canine First Aid website with a wealth of articles on health and wellbeing for dogs
- Raw feeding
Specialist doggy products:
- Freckles Design - great hand stitched drying coats and crate covers
- Dylans Den - personalised, hand printed dog vests perfect for shy or reactive dogs
- Max and Molly Designs - Jane prints her designs by hand onto ethically sourced clothing, homewares & accessories, as well as stationary. She is passionate about greyhound rescue & donates a portion of her profits to Rescue
Some of Just Dogs own handy articles:
- Muzzles FAQs
- Why Kong is King
- To Chews or Not to Chews Article - Just Dogs Guide to Chew toys and treats
- Fussy eaters
- Taking the lead - choosing the right one
- Do you brush your dogs teeth?
Other useful sites we often refer to:
- DugsWelcome - a great resource for doggy friendly places in Edinburgh and beyond
Just some of the wonderful rescues we have supported with donations/fundraising:
- Adopt a Boxer Scotland
- Any Dog Il Do Rescue
- Dogs Trust
- Edinburgh Cat and Dog Home
- Many Tears Rescue
- Rottie Rescue Fife
- Scottish Greyhound Sanctuary
- SOS Animals UK
- Springer Rescue Scotland
- Staffie Rescue Scotland
- Islay Dog Rescue
We also have a section on our site for local resources & recommendations (including dog walkers/sitter and day care, trainers and behaviourists, vets, groomers etc).
And don’t forget to check out our local doggy walks section (and feel free to send us any of your suggested contributions and photos for this too).